Disclaimer: This post was accurate as of patch 3.1.3.
Quite a long time ago, I wrote a post for Hunters similar to this. Well, I find myself in a similar situation once again: Hoping to upgrade my gear, but not always able to run heroics, and certainly not a big fan of relying on random drops.
So here’s a list for fledgling Retribution Paladins who would like to upgrade their quested greenies without having to depend on groups or the dreaded RNG!
Note: This list doesn’t include any items that require a specific profession to be equipped, such as Engineering helms, Jewelcrafting trinkets or Blacksmith weapons. If you have a crafting profession, be sure to check your profession trainer to see what you can make!
(See the list after the break!)
- [Spiked Titansteel Helm] Blacksmithing BoE
Hope you’ve either taken up Mining or are very close friends with some Miners! The Titansteel stuff is juicy, so you’re going to want to either be saving up mats or if you’ve got the gold, picking these off of the AH.
- [Helm of Command] Blacksmithing BoE
The mats for this are a lot cheaper to come across, but there is a clear difference in the stats. This one has none of that valuable hit rating!
- [Titanium Impact Choker] Jewelcrafting BoE
The mats are a bit dear, but this is a really great necklace. I just wish it had some crit on it!
- [Susurrating Shell Necklace] (A) / [Choker of Feral Fury] (H) 10 Champion Seals
The tournament has brought in all kinds of goodies. You can pick this up for only 10 seals (that’s just 2 days of dailies!)
- [Choker of the Betrayer] Quest – Zul’drak
- [Spaulders of the Giant Lords] Sons of Hodir – Revered
You’ll be working on your SoH reputation anyway, I hope… so this is a no-brainer upgrade.
- [Polished Spaulders of Valor] 40 EoH – Bind on Account
If you’ve got a sugar daddy main that’s willing to spoil your alts, this is still a nice piece even at 80.
- [Gold Star Spaulders] Oracles – Revered
Oracles rep is pretty easy to get up, especially if you start doing your dailies while leveling!
- [Savage Saronite Pauldrons] Blacksmithing BoE
PvP item, but decent stats and cheap mats make this easy.
- [Cloak of Bloodied Waters] BoE
The only level 80 cloak with Strength on it. Expect to spend ~100g if you find it on the AH.
- [Ice Striker's Cloak] Leatherworking BoE
What are we, Hunters?! Nah, this is a nice piece if you can get the mats together. AP is nothing to sneeze at!
- [Frostguard Drape] Tailoring BoE
It’s got some Resilience which isn’t really needed for PvE, but a nice amount of crit if you need it.
- [Cloak of Holy Extermination] Argent Crusade – Honored
You’ll probably hit Honored just doing quests in Zul’drak or Icecrown, so feel free to grab this if you’ve got nothing better yet.
- [Whalebone Carapace] Kalu’ak – Honored
Kalu’ak rep is easy to pick up as you level through Howling Fjord, Dragonblight and Borean Tundra.
- [Savage Saronite Hauberk] Blacksmithing BoE
Again a PvP item, but with quite easy mats.
- [Links of the Terrified Deity] 3-man Quest – Zul’drak
You can solo 3-man quests! You’re a ret paladin!
- [Wristbands of the Sentinel Huntress] BoE – 40 EoV
These can be purchased with 40 Emblems of Valor, so if you’ve got a main with Emblems sitting around, you can buy these. Alternatively, you can find them in Trade or AH for ~1500g.
- [Cast Iron Shackles] BoE
You can sometimes find a great deal on these if you keep your eye on the AH, maybe less than 100g.
- [Vengeance Bindings] Blacksmithing BoE
The hit rating is nice and the mats are easy!
- [Savage Saronite Bracers] Blacksmithing BoE
If you don’t do PvP, you’re better off with the Vengeance Bindings. Nearly the same mats.
- [Zeliek's Gauntlets] BoE
Great BoE from Naxxramas. Look at that expertise! Yum!
- [Gauntlets of Vigilance] Quest – Storm Peaks
- [Savage Saronite Gauntlets] Blacksmithing BoE
As with the rest of the Savage Saronite set, cheap mats, PvP set.
- [Belt of the Titans] Blacksmithing BoE
This is an Ulduar belt, so only the richest paladins are going to be able to grab this beauty!
- [Girdle of Valorous Defeat] (A) / [Clinch of Savage Fury] (H) 10 Champion Seals
What a great deal! This belt has some really nice Expertise on it and only takes 2 days of dailies.
- [Clasp of the Fallen Demi-God] Quest – Gundrak
- [Legplates of Bloody Reprisal] Wyrmrest Accord -Exalted
Much better than anything else you can get solo. Start working on that rep early! It’ll take a while to get to exalted.
- [Savage Saronite Legplates] Blacksmithing BoE
As with the rest of the Savage Saronite set, cheap mats, PvP set.
- [Battlelord's Plate Boots] Blacksmithing BoE
An Ulduar recipe. Going to cost a lot to get this one.
- [Death-Inured Sabatons] Knights of the Ebon Blade – Exalted
There are a lot of Knights daily quests, and you can do them with your Tournament dailies. It’s worth it!
- [Spiked Titansteel Treads] Blacksmithing BoE
Titansteel gear is great, but not cheap if you can’t mine!
- [Iron-Spring Jumpers] BoE
BoE drop from Naxx. If you’re low on hit, these are sure to push you over!
- [Berserker's Sabatons] BoE
- [Inscribed Ring of the Kirin Tor] Purchasable – Dalaran
You need to own the 8500g ring and cough up an extra 1250g for this baby.
- [Inscribed Band of the Kirin Tor] Purchasable – Dalaran
If you’re expertise capped, this would be your other option.
- [Ring of the Kirin Tor] Purchasable – Dalaran
8500g, nice expertise ring!
- [Band of the Kirin Tor] Purchasable – Dalaran
- [Titanium Impact Band] Jewelcrafting BoE
Mats aren’t cheap, but it’ll cost you a lot less than 8500g!
- [Signet of Bridenbrad] Quest – Icecrown
- [Stained-Glass Shard Ring] BoE
- [Signet of Edward the Odd] BoE
This has a neat little haste proc.
- [Darkmoon Card: Greatness] Quest – Darkmoon Faire
This won’t be cheap, you’ll be looking at around 8000g depending on your server’s economy. Cheaper if you can make the cards yourself, of course.
- [Crusader's Locket] Quest – Icecrown
- [First Mate's Pocketwatch] Quest – Howling Fjord
- [Goblin Repetition Reducer] 70 Venture Coins
Venture coins are pretty easy to grab by doing the dailies in Grizzly Hils.
- [Fezzik's Pocketwatch] Quest – Icecrown
Weapon (2H of course)
- [Titansteel Destroyer] Blacksmithing BoE
If you only make 1 piece of Titansteel gear, let this be it!
- [Claymore of the Prophet] (A) / [Greatsword of the Sin'dorei] (H) 25 Champion Seals
This is an amazing weapon for only 5 days of Argent Tournament dailies. That’s a ton of hit! It’s a bit fast though, and slower is better.
- [Runeblade of Demonstrable Power] Knights of the Ebon Blade – Revered
If you’re working on your rep for the boots, you can always grab this.
- [Bloodied Arcanite Reaper] 65 EoH – Bind on Account
Don’t underestimate the BoA gear! This is pretty nice for hitting 80 with.
- [Whale-Stick Harpoon] Kalu’ak – Revered
Kalu-ak rep is easy to get, so you should be able to grab this early if you want to.
- [Venture Co. Libram of Retribution] 30 Venture Coins
This is an easy grind if you missed the Furious Blows one.
- [Libram of Furious Blows] Quest (A), Quest (H) – Borean Tundra
Really the best Libram you can get until Valor badges/Naxxramas (or PvP if you’re into that). Don’t miss this quest!
- Upgrades for Anti-social Hunters
- Dungeon and Heroic Gear for Needy Ret Paladins!
- How Ghugh Got His Groove Back
- Hunter: Gearing for Karazhan (on a budget!)
- A Hunter in Karazhan: What’s in it for me?